Monday, April 11, 2011

Life Verse

Back when I was in my high school youth group I remember one of our summer youth interns mentioning that his wife & him selected a life bible verse for their first born child.  This tradition continued as they had additional children.  It made such an impact on me that I still remembered it when I was pregnant with Zachary.  I wanted to do the same.

So back in 2006 when I was pregnant with Zachary I had a rough bout of morning sickness....if you asked me then I thought it was the worse case possible however this time around I realize that it wasn't so bad.  Anyways,  being that it was our first baby I was super worried and scared that something was going to be wrong with our child.  Instead of worrying,  I would contantly cling to the bible verse Proverbs 3: 5-6

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight"

So it only seemed right that Kevin and I would chose this verse as "Zachary's Life Verse".  It was perfect.

Since I found out about Baby #2 I have been looking for a perfect life verse for him or her.  It hasn't been easy.  At first when I was so sick I could hardly stand I could not read or get online without becoming even sicker.  I had no desire to do anything but sleep.  So as the pregnancy journey has gotten better and better each day I started to pray that God would lead to the perfect verse....which leads me to this morning.
We had massive thunderstorms from 11 pm until 5 am.  I mean MASSIVE!  I did not sleep well at all.  At 5 a.m. I was fully awake.  This is not normal for me. I.LOVE.MY.SLEEP!  However as I kept trying to close my eyes I kept feeling like I was supposed to go out into my living room and start my weekly bible study.   There are 5 daily lessons in this bible study which to be honest I don't get started until Friday or Saturday and cram all 5 days into one.  Not good! With that said, I felt like I was supposed to get up and get started.  It was almost like God was nugding me to get up and pay attention to Him.  So I got up and opened up my lesson.  Some women at our church are on week 5 of Walking By Faith by Jennifer Rothschild.
I open Day 1 of Week 5 and the very first thing on the page is

"The Lord your God is with you,
He is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you.
He will quiet you with His love.
He will rejoice over you with singing."
Zephaniah 3:17

Immediately after reading it I knew that was the life verse for baby #2. I felt like God was waking me you to share this special gift with me.  It was PERFECT!  I wanted to run in and wake Kevin up but I didn't. Instead I finished Day 1 & 2 of the bible study and shared with Kevin when he woke up.  He agreed that it was perfect for the baby. 

I have never really had a moment like the one that I had this morning.  I have felt God's presence during several times in my life but nothing like this.  I am so thankful that I chose to get up at 5 am.  I am so thankful that God heard my prayers and that Baby #2 has a life verse to live by. 

3 comments:

Lori said...

LOVE THIS! What a great idea! Love both of those verses and what a great promise both of your kids can fall back on throughout their lives.

Unknown said...

That is so beautiful! I absolutely love this verse. I quoted it in my high school valedictorian speech. I love when God just shows up for us. It is so powerful, moving, and life-changing.

Casey and Kim said...

gave me chills! This baby will be blessed for sure!