Friday, January 22, 2010

They are going to wake me up!

Zachary for the most part has always been a good sleeper. He has slept in his bedroom since the first night he was home in the hospital. I always thought he would sleep in a bassinet (borrowed from Melody) in our room for the first few months. But the first night we were home with him my mom was staying with us too. She & I took the master bedroom so that Kevin could get a good night sleep in our guest bed since he had to work the next day. Within minutes of my mom & I laying our heads on the pillow she said, "we will never get any sleep with him in here". He hummed so loud and never stopped. So we put him in his crib that first night. Funny thing is we could still hear him in the master bedroom with the monitors off. I never used a baby monitor because I knew if I could not hear him humming, something was wrong. Come to find out that is a sign Zachary had/has acid reflux. Go figure. Anyways, back to my original story.

Recently Zachary has gotten himself into a strict nightly routine. He flips out if we don't do all of these things in this order. Can you tell he is a child from two very type A personalities? Poor kid, he gets it honestly.

This is Zachary's nightly routine: (I'm starting to realize this parenting thing goes by way to fast so I want to document events like this).

First we potty, take our fluoride vitamin, and then brush our teeth.

Then we "cross of the day". My Aunt Ann & Uncle Wayne gave this John Deere Calendar to Z for Christmas and he LOVES it. He will not allow you to skip this part of bedtime.


Then we get in bed. He picks 2 books. I read his selected 2 books and then he gets a bible story. We pray. I tuck him in. I must say, "Snug As A Bug, In A Rug" or it doesn't count. And then it is bedtime. He is not allowed to get out of bed...unless he has to potty again. He is only allowed to call me back into his room 2 times. Usually he has to tell me something. Basically its his stalling tactic.

Tonight when I went back in he said, " Can you remove those animals up on my shelf? They are going to wake me up."

I kinda chuckled and then said, "nah they are not going to wake you up. They are "stuffed animals".

Zachary was very stern and asked me if I would please take them off the shelf and take them out of his room.

So I did. Here are the photos of this scenario. I often wonder what this guy is thinking. As soon as the animals were removed. He was out. Goodnight!

Here is his shelf before removing the animals and football that were going to wake him up.
Here are the animals in our living room.
The empty shelves.


2 comments:

Mix and Match Mama said...

Hi Hilary! I love your sweet blog and our blogging friendship! You leave the best comments and are so motivational and inspirational in your posts about how staying at home rocks (tought but awesome!). The deal with the not knowing the gender and having clothes: 1. i have my showers after the babies are born (sip and sees)...I have two next week! So, I always get plenty of great stuff from my friends and family then 2. Before the baby is born, I buy things at Babies R Us, Gymboree, etc. for both a girl and a boy, then I keep the reciepts and exchange and/or return post baby (which is so fun because it's kind of like shopping without paying...my husband doesn't buy this theory because we did actually already pay the first time, but I'm sure you'll understand my logic) 3. My family and close friends are dying to shop for the baby during the 9 months, so they flooded my hospital room with great boy stuff right away. That's what we do and it works great! If you have another...I highly recommend it! PS: I love reading blogs about random things like your kids' night routine...this is very educational for us moms with younger kids. Lots of love!!

Julie said...

Every now and then Samuel makes me remove the stuffed animals from his room too. Not sure where they get this but he always calms down as soon as they are gone.