Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Battling sleepless nights!

The past four days have been stressful, sleepless, and exhausting. Zachary and I still have our virus. We are coughing round the clock, suffering from moderate to high temperatures, and are very cranky. I hate to complain because I know several people who would do anything to have a baby, I know families who are praying that their premature baby survives in the NICU, and I know there are a lot more needs in Haiti than there are at our household. With that said, it sure is hard to be a mommy. Times like these make me more appreciative of all the times my mom and dad stayed up with me when I was sick as a child. While I am exhausted and frustrated from this virus I am thankful that we have physicians that will treat us when we call, that we have health insurance, and that I work at home. While the laundry, cleaning, and other daily tasks are being overlooked. I am thankful that Z and I can rest together on our couch. I found this poem online and I wanted to share. I am thankful to be Zachary's mom. Please say a prayer for us that we will get back to normal soon. And when we do I am not going to take for granted how good we usually feel. Thanks!
Here's a pic of me and my little boy....when are are feeling better. Wishful thinking!

Before I was a Mom
Author: Unknown

Before I was a Mom I slept as late as I wanted and never worried about how late I got into bed.
I brushed my hair and my teeth everyday.

Before I was a Mom
I cleaned my house each day.
I never tripped over toys or forgot words to a lullaby.
I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous.
I never thought about immunizations.

Before I was a Mom I had never been puked on.
Pooped on. Spit on.
Chewed on.
Peed on.
I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts.....
I slept all night.

Before I was a Mom
I never held down a screaming child so that doctors could do tests.
Or give shots.
I never looked into teary eyes and cried.
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.


Before I was a Mom
I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put it down.
I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt.
I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much.
I never knew that I could love someone so much.
I never knew I would love being a Mom.


Before I was a Mom
I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body.
I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby.
I didn't know that bond between a mother and her child.
I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important and happy.

Before I was a Mom
I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay.
I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the wonderment or the satisfaction of being a Mom.
I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much before I was a Mom.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I hope you guys get to feeling better. Its bad enough when you child doesn't feel good and you have sleepless nights, but when you, yourself are just as sick, its the worst! I'll be praying for you guys! Great poem, by the way, and so true! I might post it on my blog, so I have it to refer to. Feel better soon!