Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mom's Intuition

Zachary's Humidifer......We have learned to love this guy because he makes all of us feel so much better.

As I have mentioned in previous posts we have had a "virus" for over a week now. Zachary and I have been up coughing, with high fevers, and other symptoms. Kevin and I took him in to the walk-in clinic that our pediatrician's office (they have it 365 days a year 9-11am) on Sunday morning. Z did not see his regular pediatrician but one of the ones in the same group. This is when he got the "virus" diagnosis. After two more sleepless nights and fevers of 103 degrees I felt like I needed to call the doctor's office again. Fortunately we got in that same day...did I mention I love this office? After Z's doctor thoroughly examined him he was stumped. Obviously there was something that was causing this high temp for 7 days. Z's chest sounded clear, he did not complain of a headache (sinus stuff), and his urine sample showed no signs of an infection. Z's doctor strongly recommended that we get registered into the hospital for a chest x-ray. In my head I am thinking....we are exhausted. I did not want to sit in anymore waiting rooms let alone walk though one medical building over to the hospital to be sent to several different departments. I remember saying a little prayer that we could just make it until 6. That we would have enough energy to walk, enough energy to negociate with Z that he had to have an x-ray, etc. Well, the Lord took good care of us. Everyone was super nice to us. Z got a roll of stickers from every person we meet (pre-admission lady, radiology receptionist, radiation tech, etc.) I will say that Z did a perfect imitation of a mule when we approached the large x-ray room. He stopped dead in his tracks and was not walking into the room with the "big machines". After promising Z a reward sticker he agreed to have his "picture taken".

We survived. We made it home. Kevin picked up $1.99 Happy Meals. We. Were. Pooped. At 5:30 Z's pediatrician called to tell us that Z's x-rays confirmed pneumonia. For those of you that have followed me on this blog for a while know that in November I had pneumonia for a month. I NEVER THOUGHT my three year old would get it.

As hectic as this week has been I am SO thankful that Z only has pneumonia. It could be SO MUCH worse. I am thankful that I can care for this little guy. I am thankful that my husband comes home from work and relieves me for an hour or two. Lastly, I am thankful for a mom's intuition. You know that gut feeling that something else is going on with your child and that I needed to call the doctor again. God is good! Thank you for praying for all of us!

Our pharmacy on the ledge is back.....just so you know those pink amoxicillin bottles are stored in the fridge. I just put it up there for the photo of the day shot. Thank God for Walgreens1

2 comments:

Lacey Bean said...

Awww I hope he starts feeling better soon!!!

And I have a penguin humidifier.. :) http://perksofbeingajap.blogspot.com/2009/03/get-up-come-on-get-down-with-sickness.html

Rachel Peacock-Young said...

Zachy and Howie:
I miss you so much! My mom promised you could come spend the night in a few weeks instead of Friday. Get better so we can play Woody and Buzz. I love you up to the moon and back. God Bless America. I saw a flag today. I like ice cream. Maybe your mom could get you some. It makes me be better. Love, Elliott