Monday, November 2, 2009

Lungs of a Parakeet


My sister and I have often joked that I have lungs of a parakeet. Ever since I was a small child I have had breathing issues. I thought they would go away. I prayed they would go away. To my dismay my breathing issues just get worse. This weekend we went out of town to one of my best friends weddings. Julie and Jeff married on Friday night. I so wanted to be in the moment but instead I was feeling miserable. I tried not to dwell on my discomfort and pain but I knew something was wrong. Saturday we came home from the wedding to get ready for Trick or Treating. The thought of getting in and out of our car and walking door to door made my head spin. I so badly wanted to celebrate Halloween but I was miserable. I tried to hide my pain but Kevin could tell I was not acting normal. After stopping at a few houses we called it a night. On Sunday morning Kevin could not take it anymore. He insisted that he take me to the ER. I finally gave in and hopped in the car. We dropped Z off at my in-laws, called my parents, and arrived at our local hospital emergency room. With no wait at all I was assigned a room, had a breathing treatment, had a chest X-ray. The doctor came in and said the chest x-ray was clear and that he thought I might have a blood clot in my lung. Immediately I mentioned that my mom has a blood clotting disorder and next thing you know I have an IV for a CT scan with dye. I was concerned but a little elated because I KNEW something was wrong. After an hour or two of waiting for the results the ER doc came in and said I had pneumonia. I wanted to shout for joy but I could not. I was too sore, weak, and I could not breath. I was glad that I did not have a blood clot and I was thrilled that there really was something wrong with me. I hated the thought of spending all this time and money in the ER for them to say it was nothing. The doctor contemplated me staying at the hospital but he thought I would get better faster at home and he did not want me to come down with the flu from the other patients. So I got an IV of antibiotics and some pain meds. By this time my mom had arrived from her church to take care of me. You know I am a die hard blogger so I made my mom take my photo getting my IV antibiotics. So that is my weekend story. I still don't feel well but I glad that I am on the mend. I am praying that I get well soon.

5 comments:

Lacey Bean said...

You poor thing! Hope you start to feel better soon!

Aubrey said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry that you have pneumonia! As a lifelong asthma sufferer, I know how bad it is to not be able to breathe. Hope you get well soon.

P.S. Loved the hospital pic. You are a hard core blogger. :)

Unknown said...

Hil, goodness, what a blessing that it wasn't a blood clot. I will be praying for a quick recovery from pneumonia! Being sick is no fun, but you look like a trooper in your hospital pic. Keep us updated!

Casey and Kim said...

get well soon!! Don't like seeing your hospital pic on your blog unless there is a baby coming out of there somehow!

Kelly said...

I hope you feel better soon!