Monday, April 13, 2009

Basement Finale

I am sure you are probably tired about hearing about our basement but I wanted to post the final pictures of our furniture and decor. If you want to see the "BEFORE" click here. Basically this post is for my "Aunt" Steph because she helped me with my art work. The tough part of finishing our basement was the decorating. We had no furniture, no decorations, and no wall art. Kevin and I both agreed that we wanted the color scheme to be teal, brown, and lime green. Don't ask me how we came up with that combo but that is what we both thought of. So I started looking at area rugs. It was difficult to find what I had imagined in my head. I thought no such rug existed. Just when I started to think about changing our color scheme I found this rug online. It was perfect. Then came our furniture. We waited for approximately 6 weeks to get it.

Here's our rug and sectional Once it arrived we started piecing together the rest of the decorations. Kevin and I quickly realized we were OVER budget and out of money to spend on decorations so I started to brainstorm on how we can finish up this project. I started "shopping" in my decorations, and started making my own decorations out of my scrapbook supplies and craft closet. I will share more about these projects in another post but for now I have to brag on myself. Everything on our shelves was stuff that I have owned for years. I just reconfigured it or painted it to match our color scheme.


Here are the shelves with my "homemade" decor

Then came a great idea. I had HGTV on tv one afternoon and saw a home decor reveal from Verns Deserving Design. I was so bummed I missed the episode but I saw these awesome canvas' wall art. I did not know how Vern did them so I called my personal Art Teacher, my "Aunt" Steph. She helped me pick the right canvas, the right acrylic paint, and told me how to modge podge a photo on the canvas. I am so proud of our wall art.

Thank you "Aunt" Steph and HGTV for the wonderful wall art


Kevin and I made them ourselves, again with helpful tips from Steph, but we spent about 75% less than if we had someone do them or if we purchased generic wall art from Gordman's or Kirklands. Plus we put a personal touch on our walls.


Lastly, I have to show the other rooms that are finished in our basement.
Here is my new Scrapbook closet/Craft closet. I LOVE IT!

Here's the new guest room. It is ready for company. Please come and visit us!

Our Guest bathroom
As you can see our basement is ready for friends and family to come visit. You are welcome ANYTIME!

7 comments:

Kelly said...

It looks great Hil! You are very creative!

Lori said...

I love your basement! I'm sure you guys enjoy the extra space too. I have made a few of those canvas art projects for friends and family. they are super cheap and are very versitale (sp?).

thetoothchick said...

Hilary - You did a great job decorating. I am so impressed.

Cindy said...

OK - so when can we come over and play???

It looks AWESOME!!! I'm impressed with your mod-podge skills! I may have you come over and show me how to do that for our new house!

Anonymous said...

Wow. You should have your own HGTV show. I could be your first episode. And your second, and third...

The Divine Ms Abbey D said...

I am so very proud of the wall art! That Steph, she's pretty amazing. I can't wait to see it in person the next time I am home. Love you! Give Z a monster kiss for me!

Jennifer Horgan said...

Hil, your basement looks incredible! Can you come over and decorate my house??