Saturday, April 4, 2009

Our first 5K!

About two weeks ago my mom asked me if I wanted to participate in a 5K with my dad, sister, and her. I was shocked. Then I learned that the elementary school that she works at, which happens to be the elementary school I attended was having a PTA fundraiser 5K run/walk. I said sure! Next thing you know, I am picking up registration packets, computerize microchips for our shoes, numbers for our shirts, and t-shirts for the big event. I immediately called my mom and said, "Mom, are you sure we are qualified to participate in this event?" I had no idea it was such a serious event. She reassured me that it was not a big deal and that we were supposed to be the "sweepers" of the 5K. Since she is the school nurse she had to stay at the back of the pack to watch for injured runners/walkers. Well, this morning was the BIG DAY. Unfortunately, my sis twisted her knee this week so she had to bow out. My dad and I started to get nervous when we arrived at the starting line because there were some SERIOUS runners/competitors out there. I felt like we were way out of our league. Here I was in my denim jacket while some of the other runners were in short shorts and tank tops. Have no fear we brought up the rear and had the best time. After we crossed the finish line we realized that there were over 330 registrants but probably 300ish competitors. I don't know what it was but it makes me want to do another 5K next weekend. I might have to do with the beautiful weather, the good company, or the fact that I am trying to become more active. I hope there are more 5K's for me in the future. It was so much fun!

At the finish line....look how proud Z is of his medal.
This is in the all-purpose room for the awards ceremony and door prizes. Z was in his own world cheering on the winners. I love this pic because you can see him checking out his medal.

He was so proud of himself!


This is Z cheering for the door prize winners.


No comments: