Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sicker Than a DOG!

Please remember I am going back in time.  Kevin is the president of his state professional organization.  Which means he is in charge of putting on a statewide weekend long continuing education course for all the members of this organziation.  For the past 9 months we had been planning, organizing, collecting registrations, and praying that the event would go with out a hitch.  The weekend was Feb 3-5 in Kansas City.  The plan was that I would go with him to help with name tags, registration packets and hospitality.  I was game. I love weekends like this because it means while he is in class I can shop, eat, visit with old friends, etc.  However this weekend was different.  I started to become VERY sick with Baby #2.  I was sick with Zachary but this time was SO MUCH WORSE. I could not sit up. I would get sick every hour.  I could not eat or drink.  It was odd.  As the weekend approached I thought about not going with him.  Then I realized if I went with  him I could sleep in the hotel the entire weekend without any worries of being a mom.  My parents were planning on keeping Z for us.   After a lot of thought I decided I would go.  I took my trashcan in the car and tried to make it the entire trip without getting sick.  My entire plans of shopping and calling old friends was thrown out the window. I stayed in our hotel room the entire time. No plaza shopping. No plaza dining. Nothing.  I was SICK the entire time.  So much so that I told Kevin in the middle of the night I needed to call 911.  I stuck it out but as soon as his course was over. We came straight home.  Kevin offered to take me shopping and to lunch and I passed. That's when you know I am sick.  I couldn't even hold my head up.  I just kept praying I could make it three hours home to my OB & local hospital.  I called my OB they called me in anti-nausea meds.  We picked up Z and went home. Within an hour I knew I had to get to the hospital. My in-laws came down to put Z to bed. 

We went to the ER where I was diagnosed with severe dehydration, hyperemesis gravadarium, and ketones in my urine.  From the start of my pregnancy we knew that the baby was releasing a lot of HCG.  It was supposed to be in the 250,000 but mine was at 1.6 million.  The ER doctor said that I needed IV fluids and Zofran.  I immediately felt better.  My girlfriend, Kylie and her husband are in the long process of adopting a baby from Ethiopia.  They have a little saying in there house to keep them positive and focused about their baby.  They say E.D.F.B...Every Day For Baby.    I am borrowing that phrase.  My OB does not think this will get better for several weeks.  Basically I am on "bed rest" because I'm too sick to get up.  I just have to think EDFB.

No comments: