Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Teacher Zachary

It was a super hot day out side and I had a ton of paperwork & things to do for Kevin's office.  So I set up shop on the kitchen table and told Zachary he had to play by himself.  Well, he did not like that idea. He told me he had no one to play with and that he did not have any friends.  If I remember right he stomped his food and told me he did not like playing by himself.  Knowing that I had a ton to do I quickly brainstormed back to what I like to do as a kid and thought Zachary could play school with his animals.  Genius!  He loved it.  No joke. He spent two hours reading to his animals, teaching them their colors. He literally showed him all of his toys and pointed out each color on each toy. I am sure the animals were BORED! But it kept Z busy and I got my work done.  Here he is reading one of his favorite books to them.
What I did not realize is "school" was going to last all day long and that we were going to have to move the animals into the kitchen for dinner prep.  Zachary taught the animals about all the veggies were going to eat and he taught them how to shuck corn.  Here is Zachary teaching them about corn and how it grows in the garden.
Here he is teaching them how to shuck the corn. Thankfully this took over 20 minutes so that I could get all the table set and dinner prepared. Why didn't I think of this sooner!
While Z was doing the demonstration he started belly laughing. I turn around and this is what I see.  Mr. Elephant had fallen off the chair and into the trash. Z thought it was an absolute hoot.  That he was trying to eat the trash.  Thank you God for a child that has such a sense of humor. He really does keep me on my toes and laughing all day long.
This last pic is of our dinner. We "had" to let Zachary's friends eat dinner with us.  Zachary wanted Little Pig to eat the left over corn cobs.  I am so thankful for days when we have nothing planned and it turns out to be so much fun. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea, Hil. I'm going to put that one to good use, as we just implemented "TV-free Tuesdays" and i am a little apprehensive about how to keep the kids out of my hair. Perhaps "school" will work!

Casey and Kim said...

So cute! I never had a teacher that taught in his underwear! Love it!

Jennifer Horgan said...

Hahaha!!! Zachary is so funny. He loves being in his undies!!