Monday, June 28, 2010

The Verdict is in.....LASIK is a YES!!!!

I am THRILLED!  After a 3 hour consultation on Friday, my eye surgeon said that I was a canidate for LASIK.  Thank you God! Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts. I was so excited I could of hug my doctor.

There are several tests they do to determine if you are a good canidate. They basically take all your test scores and give each eye a rating.  My doctor is very conservative and will do Lasik on anyone that scores between a 0-13 on their scores.  Some doctors will go higher than 13 but he says he will not because he does not want the patient to experience side effects.  When he said I was a canidiate I asked what my scores were.  I have been praying that I would not be borderline. I wanted to be a solid GOOD canidate.  My left eye scored a 9 and my right eye scored a 7.  He said I was sitting in a perfect position! Again thank you God. 

So I will be getting LASIK surgery on July 8th!  I am counting down the days.  I know several of you asked about several pre-op concerns & questions and for that I am thankful!  You thought of things that I was concerned about too.  You're questions were addressed at the consult.  Here are a few just in case anyone is wondering for themselves in the future...

1.  Can you have LASIK before you are done having children?  YES!  Most (99%) of expectant moms will experience some changes in their vision during pregnancy and 6 months post-partum.    So with LASIK you will have some minor vision changes during pregnancy & after but they will correct themselves. My doctor said the hormones causes minor fluctuations but it will correct after baby has arrived.  I guess several years ago they recommended that you wait until you are done having children to have LASIK but they have lifted that rule...probably because they were losing patients??? Not sure but I am glad they changed this rule because I really want to be able to see a new baby in the middle of the night without my glasses.  So I am having LASIK before we even try to have baby #2. 

2.  Can LASIK cause dry eye?  YES!  My doctor already prescribed Restatsis to use as a preventative measure before the surgery and then I will use them for a month post-LASIK.

3.  How long does it take?  I will be on the Laser table less than 20 minutes.  He estimated start to finish with each eye to be 10 minutes which includes his scrub time. 

Well, thanks again for the prayers. I will keep you posted on how the procedure goes. Thanks!

No comments: