Monday, June 7, 2010

My mom retired!

On June 2nd, my mom retired after twenty years of school nursing.  She has been Jesus to thousands of elementary students over the past twenty years. Of course she does things like bandaids and ice packs but what you don't see is her taking them food in the summer time because they are left alone for days at a time without meals.  She also gets children to and from doctors & dentist appointments.  To a lot of these kiddos she is their mom or grandma.  She loves on them and provides TLC to these kiddos day in and day out.  She will be missed...A LOT!  I personally am glad that she is retiring because this means she can spend more time with us and taking care of herself. I pray that she gets to enjoy a retirement full of fun, travels, good health, and peace. Something my grandma never got to enjoy.  So on June 2nd we surprised Grammy at a 5th grade assembly.  Rachel & I with the boys hid in the janitorial closet waiting for the point in the assembly where they recognized mom.
My mom, her principal, and another teacher all retired the same year.
Family Picture with Kathryn.  Kathryn is a student whose mom got deathly ill last year. Kathryn's mom asked my mom if she could keep Kathryn while she was in the hospital.  Little did Kathryn's mom know that she was going to be in the hospital for over three months.  Kathryn moved in with my parents. My parents loved having a little girl in their home. They played UNO every night before bed like we did when we were kids.  I think my parents enjoyed having her as much as she enjoyed having a family.  She really got to know the boys well too.  Kathryn is graduating from Wilder as well.  
Grammy's boys being silly in the gym.
 
Grams with her principal and secretary
Group photo in the nurses office.

We are proud of you mom!  Enjoy your retirement! We love you!

Please not this is one day before my sister had surgery.  She just kept going and kept going. 

1 comment:

Lori said...

You're mom is so special and having angels like her in the public school system is such a blessing.