Thursday, September 24, 2009

Mel's 30th Birthday!

Last Friday, Sept 18th we got to celebrate Mel's 30th Birthday with her. This is not just any birthday it was MELODY's Cancer-free 30th Birthday. I can remember her 29th birthday when there was not too much to celebrate except dinner and cookies. Last year she was getting ready to head to another chemo session, bald, beautiful, and full of worries. This year she was 30, fabulous, cancer-free, full of life, and excited for the next 60 years of life.


Mel really wanted to go eat at one of her favorite places...Maria's which is a quaint Mexican place downtown. Kev and I had never been there. It was good! Then Mel wanted to go to Ernie Biggs which is a Piano Bar. None of us had been their either. We had a wonderful night. The piano bar was interesting to say the least. I was amazed that two pianos could play together. The craziest part for me was that people would make a request and IMMEDIATELY the musicians would start playing the songs and they would know ALL the words. I can never remember all the words to a song...I end up making them up or humming. It was cool. I asked Kevin how those musicians could do this and his answer was...while we were studying biology these people were studying music and songs. I guess he was right! They were good. After the show we went to a coffee bar for coffee and chocolate fondue. It was a wonderful birthday party. Thanks to my sister and brother-in-law for allowing Z to come sleep over with his best buddy! We had a night out!

Mel and Hil...I figured this was our 18th birthday that we have spent together....12 years old was the first one. Gosh I wish I had a picture of that!


Kevin and I at Maria's Mexican
Mel and Wasson at Maria's
This is Hilary and Tyler....good friends of Mel & Wassons...and ours too. It was the six of us!
Funny story....this was our waitress at Ernie Biggs....she just so happened to be from the small town that I grew up in. Her sister, Kiersten was my BEST friend in kindergarten. We both looked at each other and knew we knew each other but it took us a second to realize it. Courtney was about 3 or 4 when we moved. She is a gem! I had to get a picture of us to show her sister on facebook.
Another funny story...this is another old friend of ours...Jessica. I went to school with Jessica from 2nd grade to senior year of Highschool. We re-connected on Facebook about a year ago when she was expecting her first baby. While we were at Ernie Biggs Melody said, "Hey I think that is Jessica". I said lets see. So I got on my iphone, went to my FB application, and asked her if she was at Ernie Biggs. Within minutes she replied that she was in the window for a birthday party. Just like that we reunited. Again I HAD to get a picture. Thanks to the modern world of technology!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you did a great job planning, Hil! I can't believe you've never been to Maria's! AND, maybe you've never been to Ernie Biggs, but you have seen their piano players - at our post-wedding party! I think they were a little more sedate that time though.