Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Taking a walk down memory lane....or down wildcat lane.

I don't know what it is about this time of year but I seriously MISS the "going back to school" excitement. This week I have noticed that I am singing sorority recruitment songs in my head, thinking about how excited it used to be to see old friends after a summer break, or how we used to eat the "usual" Baker University back to school hamburgers and M&M cookies which had been sitting outside most of the days with flies swarming the warmers. I miss it. Not sure if it is because this weekend I will reuniting with my best girlfriends, Julie and Megan, for a bridal shower but I am really reminiscing about the Old B.U. days. As much as we used to complain about getting ready for RUSH...I mean sorority recruitment I wish I could go back and do it all over again. Am I nuts? I miss my sorority sisters, I miss the sound of the buzz in the sorority house, I miss the lifesaver mints and lemons they used to pass out in between recruitment parties, and I miss running of the bulls. CRAZY I tell you. Anyway, I just thought that if I typed about it that I would return to reality. Reality of laundry, a ringing phone, the sound of two little feet running through the house, and waiting for the sound of my garage door at 5:30 p.m signaling my husbands return from a busy day. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE MY LIFE! But for some reason I am wishing I was a college student returning to my alma mater in my orange and navy carrying my new backback on my back to Mulvane Science Hall. I am so thankful for those days and memories!


The Good Ole B.U. Chapel

Walking to Class at Baker


Wildcat Mascot


5 comments:

Lori said...

I know what you mean! Life is good now, but it was so much fun in college and I think its a good thing to reminese (sp?) and keep in contact of people from those days from our past. College was one of the best parts of my life and I am thankful for that!

Julie Anne Pettyjohn said...

Maybe one day you will return to college - - of course, not to B.U. or to sorority functions. But, look at me. Feels weird quite often, but I'm glad I did it. This is my final year. I just completed one week of teaching methods classes - my first week of my last semester in classes and next semester I will student teach. - - So, you are reminiscing and I am looking so forward to being done - again.

Lucy van Pelt said...

I thought for a moment this post would be about your days in elementary school - as a Laura Wilder Wildcat!

I didn't realize you were a Wildcat once, twice, and always :)

Unknown said...

How funny! I was thinking the same thing this week. I actually went to the Baker website and looked at pics from the Greek Life. Checked out the updates on the house, and for a second, I thought I saw Mom K here in Lawrence in a parking lot. I did a triple-check to see if it was her. So sad that it wasn't. The fall weather has also reminded me of good ol' Maple Fest, the smell of fall, and those gorgeous leaves. Here's to BU!

Mary Stephenson said...

So I didn't go to Baker, but I got my Colorado State University Alumni magazine in the mail on Friday and thought, "remember when my life wasn't so crazy and busy? Remember when I could hang out with friends and watch a Lifetime movie while I typed a paper?" But then my life was only just begininning...and now is the very best part. My hubby and two chubby kids (almost three) and I wouldn't change what I have now for anything. CSU was a stepping stone that brought me here to Erick and the kids. God is so good to me. I think we all have those "remember when" moments that make us smile and laugh. thanks for sharing yours, Hil!