Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Special Treasure

On Father's Day my "Ruey" invited each of her grandaughters to select one cup and saucer from her collection. This was hard for me. First it was hard because I am technically not a biological grandaughter. Second it was hard because I felt like I was "stealing" one of her prized possessions. Ruey wanted to give us this special treasure while she was living so that she could see who got which one and she wanted us to enjoy something that she always has loved. Again it was hard for me to take but she insisted so I selected one that had spring like items on it...butterflies, lady bugs, strawberries, etc. In selecting my cup and saucer I wanted to know the story behind it. Several of Ruey's girlfriends gave her this as a gift when she was in the hospital for heart issues. Once I got home I was trying to figure how to display it or use it. Since I don't have any other cups and saucers I decided I wanted to use it as a decoration. I took the cup and saucer to a local gift shop called "The Thicket" and asked if they could make an arrangement for it. A week later the lady at the Thicket called to tell me it was done. Today I picked it up and I could not be happier. The arrangment is perfect for my display cabinet. When I look at it I think of my Ruey and how special she is to me. I will cherish this special treasure forever. Thanks Ruey!











3 comments:

Jennifer Horgan said...

Very cute Hil! It looks so pretty on the shelf!!

Julie Anne Pettyjohn said...

What a beautiful cup and saucer and a great idea to put an arrangement inside. It's obvious it is not just another cup.

I remember that my mom and dad had stained glass birds hanging in their house. We had plenty of things to divide, but I so wanted some special memory that we could all share - to have the same kind of thing between us. I counted the birds and there were exactly enough for each sibling and each grandchild. We divided them based on likes and personalities, which sounds funny, but it made it a nice ritual to discuss why each one should go to a particular grandchild.

So everyone of us has our single bird and we all display them in a prominent location. The cool thing is I not only feel connected to my parents, but to all the other "bird holders."

The most special items have nothing to do with monitary value, but memory value. Thanks for sharing yours.

The Divine Ms Abbey D said...

First and foremost, you are my cousin. I do not care what anyone says. I include you in my biology. You have been there at every milestone including birth. You are more biological, to me, than 'someone' else.
You have just as much of a right to a cup and saucer as the rest of us.
That being said....I love the one that you chose! I haven't seen mine yet. Dad said he picked it out and he thinks I will like it. Mom said it is a cute little vintage floral pattern so I am sure I will love it.
I love the arrangement.