Monday, December 8, 2008

It's being to look a lot like Christmas

Welcome to our home at Christmas time. I will take you on a little tour.


First you have our entry way table with our Willow Tree Nativity. This Nativity is very special to me because my mom gave us pieces of the set since we got engaged. Each year she adds on to it. When I put it up I think back to our first Christmas in Iowa. This was our only decoration in our apartment.


Next is our tree. Our tree is draped in ribbon, Gold, Green, and Red Bulbs, and of course keepsake/homemade ornaments. All of my ornaments have some special memory. When I decorate the tree I also have to have a kleneex box near by because I think about who gave it to me or what the ornament represented. On the floor is Zachary's Fisher Price Little People Nativity. He loves playing with it. I have to laugh because some days there are tractors, cars, and Bob the Builder toys displayed next to Baby Jesus.
This next photos is of a niche that I decorated. Usually I hang our stockings on the mantle but last year when I was putting away our decorations we had an accident. Zachary was right by my feet. He tripped me. I reached for something to give me balance and I pulled a stocking for support. When I pulled the stocking the Letter E from the PEACE fell and hit Zachary in the forehead. We were so lucky that he did not die or get seriously injured. I will never forget that moment. So this year all the PEACE holders and stockings got put up super high so they would not fall. I have a feeling Santa can get in those stockings.

Next is our mantle. Again no stockings but I think it is better safe than sorry. I learned my lesson.

This little miniature tree was a gift from my best friends, Megs & Julie. They gave this snowman tree to me for my 22nd birthday. At one time this was my tree. Again it holds so many wonderful memories that I will display it every year. Julie, Megs, & I loved Christmas and made numerous Christmas traditions together. All the ornaments are snowmen.

Next is Zachary's tree. His nursery/bedroom was decorated in a farm animal motif. It suites him to a tee. He loves animals and farm equipment. So when I decided he needed a tree I looked all over for farm ornaments that were safe for toddlers. I could not find any so I went to my favorite store Hobby Lobby. I found wooden, pre-painted farm animals. I glue-gunned ribbon on them and TA-DA...the perfect ornament for a 2 year old. Remarkably Zachary does not even attempt to touch them. However he loves to look at them and make the noise that animal makes.

Last but not least these are some floating ornaments that hang in an open space in front of our basement stairs. I used vinyl rub-ons to create ornaments that say, Peace, Joy, Hope, Love, Faith, and Christ. Unfortunately, I could not get a picture with all the ornaments showing the words. So you just have to come see them.


So there you have it...our home at Christmas time. Come over and eat some Christmas cookies and have some coffee with me. I would love to have you over.


2 comments:

Julie said...

Great idea on the farm ornaments. Samuel has been asking for a cow ornament and I can't find one that won't break so I may be making a trip to Hobby Lobby this week.

Anonymous said...

Ah-Ha! I have been waiting for this post. As I consider ways to make the plastic play yard encircling our Christmas tree look festive, I keep thinking, "I wonder what Hilary would do..."

Also, we thought of you when we left our heavy stocking holders in the storage box this year...

It all looks awesome Hilary. Hope we get to see it in person.