Thursday, September 8, 2011

Will's Nursery Reveal

So we are FINALLY done with Will's nursery. It's funny because my mom and I got started on some small projects for it back when I was around 22 weeks.  I thought the room was going to be ready WAY before now but due to some delays it is finally done.  Back in February/March when I was so sick I spent a lot of time picking out boy nursery colors and girl nursery colors/themes.  It was something to pass the time.  The #1 thing I wanted was a painted piece of furniture. It's funny because with my first I wanted everything to match, be brand new, and go together. This time I was the exact opposite. A girlfriends sister-in-law had a lime green piece of furniture for her sons nursery and I fell in love with it. i also got this idea that whenever we got new furniture for the boys rooms (5+ years down the road) I could use this colored piece of furniture in a craft room. So my mom and I went to KC (after the morning sickness) to scope out painted pieces of furniture (mind you we did not know if it was a boy or girl).  We found a few places that had what I wanted however none of them were the color that I had in my head plus they were outrageously expensive.  I got this idea that I could "find" a used piece of furniture, refinish it (I had no idea how this was done), and do it the color I wanted.  I honestly think my mom thought I was nuts. I would hit garage sales, flea markets, look on cr.aigs.list., etc. I could not find ANYTHING. Then one day a girlfriend of mine who lives 1 street away posted on FB that she was having a garage sale and had a dining room hutch for sale $50.  I contacted her about it mainly to see if she could text me a picture and if it was all wood. Low and behold it was exactly what I wanted.  My husband was very hesitate. He thought it would just be easier to go to the baby store and buy all the "matchy" stuff. I just kept reminding him that this was going to be our "last" baby nursery and I wanted to do it my way. Can you tell I am a very stubborn person? Long story, shortened....we bought the hutch. Took it downtown to a furniture place that refinishes pieces.  I explained what I was thinking about 100 times. We had some delays but finally got the piece back and started on the nursery. Here's the process in pictures....

Here's the all wood hutch I purchased from a girlfriend for $50.  What a deal! Before....
After....
Another thing I wanted to do was a Wall of W's.  I love initials/monograms and thought this would be perfect. I shopped a local craft store when the letters were all 50% off.  Zachary and I purchased every W we would find. He thought he was on a a scavenger hunt...oh wait we did purchase one Z for him. 
Before....
Zachary & I spent one afternoon painting all the W's and you can see his Z he painted. 
After...Will's W wall
I had seen in a magazine...this is before I became aquainted with pinterest where you could make huge pom pom balls for baby showers, weddings, etc.  I got a grand idea that I wanted them in a nursery.  So when my mom came over for a 12 hour craft project day we made pom poms.  Kevin gave us some strange looks and had no idea what I was going to do with them but in the end I think he likes them :) 
We hung the finished pom poms in my basement bath for about 12 weeks until we finally got them up last week. 
Pom Poms up in nursery: There are several you.tube videos and tutorials online about how to make these. They really would be cute for a birthday party or shower. 

Our next "project" was a wall vinyl.  You can find all kinds of vinyls these days.  I found Will's on etsy.  Basically you can design your own with custom name, colors, and design for around $25-40.  Ours took about 3 weeks to get in the mail.  They are great to use because they are removable. The worst part is getting them up.  Thankfully, Kevin is a detail oriented person.  So we spent one Friday evening putting it up.  He got out the laser level and started applying the "sticker".

The things this guy will do to make his pregnant wife happy!  I forgot to mention this vinyl was in at least 8 different pieces.


 Great Job Daddy!  I must add...Zachary thinks he is the hanging monkey on the bottom. Will is the little one on top :)
And the nursery reveal....

 Changing table..I'm planning on putting frames on this wall with Will's hand prints, footprints, and newborn photos.
 Being that he is the fourth boy in our family he has a full closet.  These are all of his clothes from birth to 12 months.  I think we are set!  Now if we could just get Will to come out :)
 You might remember this post about 6 months ago.....about Will's Life Verse  well I wanted to have Life Verse this displayed immediately as you walk into his room however I wasn't sure if I was going to have a poster made, ordered, or if I was going to paint something.  Then I decided I would use my editing software on my computer and make him the poster myself. Within 20 minutes I had it done, sent to a local store for photo/poster printing and that was it.  I popped it in a frame and now it's on display.  I must add that when we "picked" this verse for our baby we had no idea if it was a boy or girl.  We also did not have any names picked out for a boy.  As I was making this poster I realized that Will's life verse uses the term WARRIOR.  It immediately clicked that God knew that he was a boy, that his name was going to be Will, and that this verse was made for him.  The name William/Will means "Strong-Willed Warrior".  I love when you can see God's plan in things. 



It shouldn't be long now. We are just waiting for our precious little Will.  Less than a week! 

4 comments:

Emily said...

It's adorable Hilary! I absolutely LOVE the painted hutch!

Aubrey said...

SO CUTE, Hilary! I love everything about that room! Well done on bringing it all together. Little W is one lucky little monkey. :)

Katy said...

It looks great!

Casey and Kim said...

SO adorable! But not surprised. YOu are so talented!