Saturday, July 2, 2011

Mother's Day Gift and Good Book

About a year ago in September I started reading a book....a very good book.  You see I never really "have time" to read books but before we go on a vacation or trip I hit the local bookstore and pick out a few.  Kevin laughs at me because as soon as I get Zachary and myself settled on the plane the book comes out and I tune out everything.  Within the first 3 days of the trip the first book is done and I am on to book #2.  Anyways, we went to Colorado back in Sept 2010 I purchased this book...
Here is the overview for the book found at Barnes & Noble. com

Kurt Warner is the two-time NFL MVP–winning quarterback of the Arizona Cardinals. Brenda Warner is an ex-Marine turned stay-at-home Mom who collects coats for low-income kids and rocks babies to sleep at a center for chronically ill infants. Together they’re the parents of seven children, going into their thirteenth year of marriage. Their formula for success? They put First Things First—faith, family, and giving to others—it’s their family motto, and it drives everything they do. First Things First is an honest, entertaining, and insightful look at life inside the Warner house. Kurt and Brenda speak candidly about their marriage, the values they’re working to instill in their kids, things they’ve done right, mistakes they’ve made, the importance of giving back, and the legacy they hope to leave behind. Kurt Warner fans will enjoy this behind-the-scenes look into the Warner family daily life. Includes 16 pages of color photos

This book is AWESOME! Kurt and his wife give several examples about raising up-standing, honest citizens. Kurt and Brenda want their children to appreciate all walks of life, art, and everyones talents. One way they teach their children to appreciate art, is they display their childs art work (good, bad, or ugly) in their home for everyone to see. Not only does this teach their children to appreciate their God-given gifts it builds their childrens self-esteem. Immediately upon reading this chapter in the book I wanted to do something like this for Zachary ( and any future children in our home). Fast forward to Dec 2010....I went to a couponing class that my sister invited me to. The funny thing about this class is my mom, sister, and I did not know the person hosting the class. We just showed up, got some couponing tips, and that was it. While in this sweet persons home I fell in love with her home decor and style. During a break the home owner/coupon class hostess and I began talking. Come to find out her husband had just gutted their kitchen and living room. Long story short...she had an "ART WALL" that looked like it came out of Pottery. B*arn; instead her husband made it. It was adorable. Immediately it reminded me of Kurt & Brenda Warners book. I wanted one! I came home and told Kevin that the "art wall" was what I wanted for Christmas. He had no idea what I was talking about or describing. So Christmas came by and no "art wall" was given. Totally not Kevin's fault..I only mentioned it a couple times but he seriously had NO IDEA what I was talking about.

So as the months went by I kept thinking about this wall. Every time Z would come home from preschool or church with a new project he would ask if I would put it in a frame. He loves it when we boast about his creations. The wheels kept turning and I really wanted the art wall. I contacted the sweet gal from the coupon class via FB and asked if she had a picture of hers that I could share with Kevin. Low and behold they were moving and she had already taken it down. Go figure. However she gave me tons of advice about it and offered to help in any way that she could. As Mother's day was approaching Kevin asked me what I wanted. Guess what I told him...an art wall. I think he was shocked that I still had the idea in my head. Next thing you know we are at a local home store picking out the supplies for my "art wall". The night of Mother's Day Kevin installed everything himself....that is a true gift in itself. I usually call on my father-in-law for any tasks like this. I was so impressed with Kevin. As soon as he was done installing my "art wall" I began hanging pieces of Z's art. When Z woke up that next morning he immediately ran into our kitchen with the BIGGEST SMILE on his face. He was so proud of his work and so honored that we would hang it up. It couldn't get much better than that. He loved it as much as I did. Since the "art wall" has been put up it has been a huge blessing. Z makes more of his "art", I display it, and then we oooo and ahhhh over it for months. Kurt & Brenda were right...showing your kids that you appreciate their gifts really helps their self-esteem and makes them feel important. So without further ado...here's my homemade "art wall". Thank you Kevin for providing such joy to Z & my heart.

All the "art wall" is is curtain rods (measure to fit your space) and hooks for drapery. VERY EASY!  One last commercial....read this book. There are so many great ideas and thoughts that I have pulled it back out to re-read.  It is an inspiring story, as well as, a great parenting tool.

1 comment:

Casey and Kim said...

love the art wall! read the book too! so good!