Saturday, July 9, 2011

Cupcake Love!

About two years ago my mom and I dreamed up this idea that we wanted to open up a cupcake shop.  You know one with an adorable store front. One that sold cupcakes, homemade dessserts, milk, and coffee.  Please remember this was only a dream but we researched cupcake flavors and even thought about different locations.  It was totally unrealistic because I had a busy 2.5 year old running around and we have no idea about owning our own bakery.  Plus if I was going to return to the working world I would chose my current profession...dental hygiene.  I love and miss dental hygiene.  On another note know that there was NOTHING like this in our area. We always joked about it but never did anything. Now in our town there is at least 3-4 cupcakerys.  To be honest the shoppes are adorable but the cupcakes are mediocre.  So fast forward two and a half years....my mom came across a cupcake decorating class at the local junior college.  We discussed how it would be a fun activity to do together and she signed us up. Well a couple weeks ago we went to our class.  We had a great time however I would not really recommend this class. Mom and I realized we knew a lot more than we had given ourselves credit for prior to taking the class.  We did learn a few pointers about filling an icing bag and that you can wash your tips in the dishwasher but that was about it. Mom already had hidden skills and was far superior than anyone else in our class.  I realized that I really do not have the patients for the fancy decorating....I think I just like the eating part :)


Practicing with white buttercream icing
My final product

Mom's final cupcakes

So here are my thoughts on this class.....
1. It was fun and a nice night from my normal routine. Thanks to my wonderful husband for entertaining Z all night so I could have a night with my mom.
2. I enjoyed the time with my mom.
3.  The class was not really what we thought it was. We wanted to learn flavors, recipes, and newer techniques to decorating cupcakes not the 1980's version. It was not organized, it was out-dated, and overpriced. 
4.  I learned that I no longer have a desire to open a cupcake shoppe and I can cross that off my bucket list :)

Now mom and I are dreaming about other things....again it's all a dream. But who says you can dream?

No comments: