Sunday, January 11, 2009

Our Baby is growing up

Last Tuesday during Zachary's nap I was in the living room working on some stuff for our MOPS group on the computer. I was deep in thought and concentration trying to arrange the MOPPET children into their classrooms. Next thing you know I feel a little tap on my shoulder. It scared me to pieces. I turn around to look and it is Zachary. He said, "Mom, I am awake". It took me a couple of seconds to realize that Zachary was in the living room. Nothing wrong with that except Z still sleeps in a crib and he was in the living room staring at me. I hopped up and asked Zachary how he got out of his crib. He quickly responded, " I climbed out Mom". So I walked him back to his room and put him back in his crib. I asked him to show me how he did it. Very easily he threw his leg over the rail and shimmied his way down the front of the crib. I could not believe it. Yes, I know he is 2 years and 3 months old but I was not ready for this. I love Z in his crib because I know where he is when he is sleeping & napping. I don't have to worry if he is going to get up and wander around the house, I don't have to worry if he can get into anything he should not, and I don't have to worry if he is going to get hurt.

After much realization I realized that Zachary is growing up. We no longer have a baby in our house....we have a BIG BOY! Kevin removed the front of the crib that evening and to our surprise Z did phenomenal. He went right to bed after saying his prayers several times through at his request. Nap time is not as easy...instead he "rests" in his big boy bed with a book or toy for an hour. I am thankful for that hour but he does not nap like he used to. One nice thing is since he does not sleep his normal 2.5 hour nap he goes to bed earlier. I guess it is a fair trade.


Here are some photos that I took this afternoon during Z's nap. Funny thing today after church Zachary asked if he could take a nap. So we happily let him. After about two hours of napping I went into to capture a photo. As you can see his eyes are kinda closed kinda opened in the photos. He woke up a little when the flash went off but he went back to sleep. He must be a tired little guy. One another note....when we were planning on what theme we were going to do his baby nursery we quickly chose the farm animal theme. It was a pretty easy choice....I have always loved animals and when I was four I had my own pink farm pig. Also my dad, Jerry, grew up on a dairy farm so I have always heard stories of his siblings taking care of the farm animals. Lastly, Kevin's parents have a horse on their property so we thought it was a great theme for our son. We could not have picked a better theme. Zachary LOVES farm animals and tractors. Look super close at the photos...he is even sleeping with his new John Deere tractor in bed.

Today at naptime...Zachary in his big boy bed.
Stretching as I snap the photo
Back to sleep like Uncle Matt


Here is a trip down memory lane for you. Zachary at 6 weeks old in a sleep sack or as Kevin would call it a sleeping dress. :*)


Look how little he was

4 comments:

Melody said...

That is so cute! I can hardley believe how big our little ones are getting! Congratulations Zach on the big boy bed!

Casey and Kim said...

oh yeah.. it's time. get on with your second kid would ya?!
so sweet. Z needs a baby sister!

Kelly said...

Hil, if it makes you feel better, we kept Braeden in his crib until he was three. He got a "big boy" bed for his third birthday! I loved knowing that he was "contained" while we were all sleeping!!

Mary Stephenson said...

That is so precious. At least he climbed out. Carter threw himself out of his crib a few weeks ago. Riley was in her big girl bed at about 15 months. But she was ready, she never liked her crib. For us the Big Girl bed was GREAT. It meant Mommy and Daddy got Riley OUT of their bed :) Way to go Z! Love the tractor!