Monday, October 26, 2009

Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5K

I finally have time to post the pics from last weeks 5K. Funniest thing...I have spent the past 12 weeks training for a 5K run. I really did the training and completed several 5K runs. In fact I tried to do a 5K run at least twice a week and a 5K walk a time or two a week. Anyways, the night before the big event I was talking to Mel on the phone and she told me that it was not a run but a non-competitive walk. WHAT? I was so looking forward to running it with a gunshot start and everything but that was okay. I decided to push Z in the stroller instead. I am on the look out for another area 5K so that I can run it but it sure was fun to be with my sis, Elliott, Zachary, Alysia, and the other walkers.


Mel was the "spokesperson" for the Cancer Society and the actual event. She did a great job motivating those that are fighting breast cancer now and encouraging everyone to be aware of the risks for breast cancer. I was proud of her! She has come a long way in this past year. Also I was very proud of my "Aunt" Steph. The race occured very close to her 2 year cancer free date so we celebrated "Aunt" Steph. In fact her team was called "417 Saving 2nd Base". My "Aunt" Renee made custom pink hoodie sweatshirts for their team and they were a HUGE hit at the race. My Ruey also participated in the race which was awesome considering she is scheduled for a hip replacement this month. Following the race, Aunt Steph hosted a celebration brunch at her house. It was a wonderful morning of family, friends, celebration, and yummy food. One other bonus of the day was Abbey (my cuz) was in town. We were all very excited to see her!

Part of Mel's team: Rachel, Mel, Curtis, and Alysia

Zachary's race sticker
Charley, Me, and Z getting warmed up before the race
Zachary stole my pink hat and gloves. He wanted to be supportive too!
This was Z before the race saying....GO SURVIVORS!

Mel, Ryan, and Charley


417 Saving 2nd Base Team: In Honor of Aunt Steph
Abbey, Aunt Renee, MaryLee, Ruey, Aunt Steph, Leslie, and Stephs friend

Harley dog was even sportin' her pink for the walk

Leslie and Zachary

Aunt Steph and MaryLee getting brunch ready




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo Woo! Great job, great event! Hilary, if you want to run a 5k with a starting gun and all, you could always come down and run one with us. We'll be doing the Jingle Bell Run on December 5th - strollers and hubbies are allowed. :)

thetoothchick said...

It is so awesome to see you support breast cancer in this way. I am sorry that you didn't get to run. I love all of the pink.