Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Road trip to Chemo therapy!

I have been gone for a while but I am back. Get ready for a blog update daily because I have a lot to post. I have several events I want to blog about but this one today has first priority.

I am up in St. Louis at Siteman Cancer Center with my best friend Melody and a new friend Doreen. First let me tell you about how I got here...it goes back 2 years ago. The week after I had Zachary I had several doctors visits. Because I could not drive I had to have help getting Z to the pediatrician. Of course Kevin took me to some of them and my in-laws took me to one. But I can clearly remember a week after Z was born I needed a driver to get me to a check up for Z. I called Mel. To recap she was at home with a 12 week old but she insisted that she drive out to our house, pick Z and I up and take us to the doctor. It does not seem like a big deal but it was a HUGE deal to me. She dropped everything to get us to where we needed to be. I never knew how I was going to repay her. Today I finally got too. About 6 weeks ago she asked me if I would accompany her to her 5th chemo treatment in St. Louis. I said of course. My in-laws & Kevin realized the importance of this trip and took care of everything for Z.

We headed up the highway yesterday to get settled in the hospital hotel to be ready for a full day of doctors visits & chemo therapy. Above I mentioned a new friend Doreen. She is a breast cancer survivor that Mel met at her church. Doreen is also a nurse so it was perfect for her to come along on the trip too. I met Doreen for the first time yesterday but feel like I have known her forever. Talk about an inspiration. Doreen knows exactly how Mel feels and what she needs. She also is an inspiration to me. A mommy of 3, a wife, a Christian women, a Cancer survivor...Doreen is all of that. What a trooper! The three of us were out on a road trip to Chemo. Once we arrived in St. Louis, we hit a few stores at the Galleria, lunch at the Cheesecake Factory, and then we enjoyed one another's company at a wonderful restaurant Asia for dinner. It was great. The best part of being with these inspiration women was that we celebrated life, our faiths, and our motherhood.

Lunch at the Galleria Cheesecake Factory ....Doreen, Melody, and me Getting ready for a good night of friends, food, and fun!
Look at the hottie with the blond hair!
Mel and Hil
Hil and Doreen

Two CANCER surviors! What an inspiration!

Today we got up early to have a healthy breakfast and to mentally prepare Mel for her treatment. We were fortunate enough to meet her amazing oncologist, Dr. Ellis and his team. Mel wanted Doreen and I in the exam room to hear all the information he was giving her. While I was sitting in this room I got overwhelmed by emotion. I realized that I was sitting in a room with TWO breast cancer survivors and that God healed these remarkable women. Dr. Ellis also overwhelmed me because he was the epitome of what an excellent physician is. He acted like Mel was the only patient in his practice. He listened to her, he answered all of our questions, he offered HOPE, and he was highly educated.

After Mel's appointment, we had coffee while waiting for her Chemo treatment to begin. Currently, Mel is back in the chemo area. Doreen and I are taking turns to be with her. Due to the toxicity of the chemo drug Mel could have a reaction so I wanted Doreen with her the first hour or so since she is a nurse and would know what to do if Mel started to experience any side effects. Please pray for Mel that she will not have any side effects. The oncologist said this drug usually causes severe bone pain.

Mel is doing AWESOME! She is on the downward slope of chemo treatments. This is #5 or 8 treatments. Only 3 more to go. She continues to be a beacon of HOPE for me and for everyone around her. I never imagined I would have to go down this road with Mel but it has taught both of us A LOT of things. She reminds me daily that I need to live life to the fullest, that I need to rely on God for everything, and that no matter what I have to stay positive. You GO MEL!

I wanted to send a shout out to Kevin, Karen, and Marv for taking care of my baby boy so that I could come up here. This entire trip has been inspirational and good for me. Thank you !

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Hey Hilary!
I just wanted to drop you a quick note to tell you that I saw your sweet baby boy with his grandparents tonight and they are all doing great!! Z had just gotten up from his afternoon nap and he enjoyed getting some kisses from Tuesday!
So - you just focus on your time with your AWESOME friend (and by the way, she is BEAUTIFUL in her wig... if I didn't know it was a wig, I NEVER would have noticed! She looks GREAT!)and your new - very inspirational - friend. Everything is just fine here at home! Now worries!
Blessings to you three girls and have a safe trip home!
With much love and admiration!!
Cindy
PS If there is anything you need me to do - just let me know! You can email me. :)

Rachel Peacock-Young said...

I am so glad you got to go. There is nowhere else you should have been. I think you know that! I am glad you all had a good time together and I can't wait to hear all about it tomorrow. Love you!

Jennifer Horgan said...

Tell Mel we are thinking of her! You are such a great friend and I am sure that Mel loved having you there for her. We hope the treatment goes fast and she is cancer free in no time.

Amanda said...

Awesome post, Hil. You and Mel have always been a picture of true friendship. I miss hanging out with you guys! It's so great that you can be there for each other. I treasure our friendship, Hil. Thanks, by the way, for all of your kind words about Grandma. I'm so glad Melody is on the downward slope of her chemo treatments. Yay!