Thursday, October 14, 2010

Old friends with children

I grew up with a handful of TRUE friends.  These friends were also my sisters friends.  We were in the same youth group at church and we all did everything together.  It didn't matter what it was we were always together.  These friends were there for me whenever I needed. I could always count on them, trust them, and worship with them.  The guys were kinda like big brothers to me.  The girls were like sisters to me.  Even though it has been since the 1990's that we all became friends we still have that youth group bond.  Because of these friends, I grew up in a "safe" environment free from drugs or alcohol.  We were all good kids.  Of course there was the occasional prank of T.P.'ing our parents houses or scaring our youth minister but we really were good kids and the best of friends. 

Currently we are all over the USA (and Germany...PJ's this is you).  Recently we had a little get together at the McCarty's house because Tom & Beth were home.  It's funny because instead of going out to eat or playing pool downtown we are all chasing our children around.  Unfortunately, my sister and her kids couldn't make it because of work. Another funny is that I have no pictures of the parents. Just the kids. 

Here's Charley (Mel & Wasson's) with Aiden (Tom & Beths)
Here's Zachary and Aiden. Z had some issues sharing the baby toys. 

 Kiersten & Sydney (Tom's wonderful sister...isn't she beautiful!)
 Three kiddos at play with all of Barb's toys.

 It was great to get together with old friends. Unfortunately it doesn't happen like it used too but I will enjoy all the moments as they happen. 

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

I want Z to play with my girls! They would have a ball. And maybe (just maybe) Zachary could convince Ella that green is a great color even when it's not on Tiana's dress. :)

Hil, thank you for being friends with my sweet hubby. I love the boy he was and the man he has become. Like you, he remembers and cherishes all those Schweitzer friendships.

And even though I wasn't lucky enough to be part of your group growing up, I had my own wonderful crew of church-going, clean-living, fun-loving teenagers. I am so thankful every day that I hung out with that kind of crowd and have stayed close to most of them over the years. Without a solid, loving peer group, I don't know what I would have become.

Here's to being soul sisters from 350+ miles apart. :)