Thursday, November 13, 2008

Brusha, Brusha, Brusha....Z's first trip to the DENTIST!

Today was a monumental day in our family. Zachary had his first trip to the dentist. After Z turned two Kevin and I decided it was time to take Z to the dentist to build a relationship and to become an established patient. We chose to take Zachary to a pedodontist, which is a fancy dental term for pediatric dentist. Ever since I made the appointment at Child Style Dental, we have been reading books about the dentist and talking about Dr. Carrie.

So today was the big day. I was nervous because a two year old "normally" does not want a stranger looking in their mouth. However if it was not for Dr. Carrie & her amazing staff Zachary would have been a "normal" two year old. Let me just tell you today was a breeze. I was thinking it was going to be a waste of time or a total nightmare. Not at all! Prior to our appointment I checked out Dr. Carrie's website. What a great site for kids. Not only was I informed, but Zachary got to watch a movie with Dr. Carrie in it telling him what to expect. We watched this movie for 2 whole days. Zachary was looking forward to the purple chairs, the monkey's and the NEMO fish that had teeth.
Zachary brushing Nemo's teeth in the waiting room.

Zachary playing with the monkey while Mommy was going over the medical history with Natalie.

So when we walked in the office it was just like what we saw online. Zachary felt comfortable and loved. I was so proud. He let Natalie take radiographs (aka x-rays), polish his teeth, & floss his teeth. I am not sure if Zachary was distracted by the cartoons playing above his head or if it was because they let him hold the monkey & Nemo fish, or if it was because they explained everything to him. He was in heaven. I could not wait to call Kevin and tell him that Zachary did so well.
Zachary watching the cartoons on Disney Channel at Dr. Carrie's office.
Zachary getting his teeth polished with blue rasberry polish!Natalie going over his brushing instructions with the Alligator

When Dr. Carrie came in the room, Zachary said, "Dr. Carrie". He loved her! Immediately he hopped out of the chair to give her a hug. It was priceless. After his exam he received a fluoride varnish to protect his teeth from cavities. Again he did not mind at all.
Dr. Carrie counting Zachary's teeth
Dr. Carrie telling Zachary he does not have any cavities!
Zacharys dentist...Dr. Carrie Arquitt

I think he was more excited about his "CARS" toothbrush than the prize box. Let me just say this....I have been in several dental offices in my life. Never have I been to one that catered to the kids & the parents like Child Style Dental. When we were all done Zachary was given a "report card" with his photo on it and his x-ray so that we could take it home and show daddy. I was so impressed. My biggest recommendation to moms & dads....start early with your children and their dental care. Check out Dr. Carrie @ Child Style Dental. She was FABULOUS and so was her team! Thank you Dr. Carrie, Natalie, Missy, Sharon, & Crystal. You made what I thought was going to be a nightmare a dream come true. THANK YOU!

2 comments:

Jennifer Horgan said...

AWESOME Z!!! I think you may have a little Dentist on your hands! How cute and so well behaved!!!

Casey and Kim said...

Wow! You need to send that as an advertisement to Dr. A! Well written! Isn't their office too cute?! What a great asset to our dental community! Way to go Z for having a great first visit!