Friday, June 20, 2008

60 years and counting

Ruey & Freddy holding Zachary 45 minutes after he was born.

Ruey and Zachary

Ruey & Freddy with Santa Clause on Christmas Eve


Today is my "grandparents" or should I say my "adoptive grandparents" 60th wedding anniversary. For those of you who know my Ruey and Freddy then you know what I mean about "grandparents". This is the short story....when my parents moved to a little bitty small town they became back door neighbors with this AMAZING family. These neighbors had 4 kids but no grandkids. Ruey and Freddy first adopted my parents and welcomed them with open arms. Then my sister and I arrived and they took us in under their wing and treated us like their grandkids. Then when "real" grandkids started to come into the world they continued to love us. No matter what! For the past 29 years (whose counting?) Ruey and Freddy have shown love to me and my entire family. They have been to all of my high school events (plays, choir concerts, church stuff, etc), all of my college events, and now all of my family's special occasions. They have been the best grandparents, since all of mine have passed away, I could have ever ask for.

Here are the top eleven things Ruey and Freddy have taught me:

11. Wear your seatbelt. (I opened Freddy's car door on his Lincoln Town Car when we were driving to Springfield. I was probably 4 years old. Ruey caught me, immediately shut the door, and said, "see that is why you wear your seatbelt."

10. You can never have too many pets. (Ruey & Freddy gave me several pets. One Christmas they gave me the best gift ever a black cat, then for my 4th b-day they gave me what I wanted...a pink farm pig, they have also given my family several rabbits, a goat, and more kittens.)

9. Snicker doodle cookies are the cure for your sadness. (I can't tell you how many shoe boxes of snicker doodles Ruey has sent to me over the years. No matter what state of mind I was in, they always cheered me and my roommates up.)

8. Never give up and keep trying. (They taught me how to roller skate when I was in kindergarten).

7. Be kind to every person you meet. (When Ruey meets someone for the first time she says "Nice to know you".)

6. Don't tell your elders NO! (Ask my sister she told Freddy no when she was 2 and got a spanking from Freddy)

5. Give to others in need. (Ruey and Freddy give so much of their time and earnings to others less fortunate.)

4. Love your spouse at all times. (Ruey & Freddy have loved each other for more than 60 years. Freddy does not miss a special occasion. Freddy always listens to Ruey even when he does not want to.)

3. You can never have enough family.(Ruey was an only child. She wanted a BIG family. When she could not have any more children. She adopted. When she wanted more grandkids then she found more...Me and My sister. Ruey and Freddy treat everyone like family.)

2. Put your family before yourself. ( I can't count how many times Ruey and Freddy have dropped everything to help a family member out. When I was really sick my senior year of college. Ruey would drive 3 hours to visit, call me weekly, and send care packages to me.)

1. Love Jesus with your heart, soul, and mind. (Ruey and Freddy live for HIM daily and show other HIS love at all times.)


Happy 60th Wedding Anniversary Ruey and Freddy. Thanks for loving me and my family so much and for always being there. Also thank you for being a constant example on how to treat others, how to raise your children, and how to love your spouse.
I love you, HIL


Ruey and me sharing our birthday's

Freddy showing off his ears.

1 comment:

Rachel Peacock-Young said...

I second, third and fourth everything my sister has typed. These two individuals are the most dedicated people I know. They deserve so much more than a well written blog. They have given tirelessly to everyone: their community, their family, and to each other. I do not know this life without them in it. I try to think about who we'd be if we'd have never known them. I cannot fathom the thought. We have been so blessed.

"Who can say if I've been changed for the better? But because I knew you I have been changed for good."
Wicked The Musical