Thursday, November 4, 2010

Flu Shot Fun!

Kevin and I knew that Zachary was going to need a few immunizations at his fourth birthday check-up so we tried to prepare him the best way possible. Let me just say that I know every child is different. For Zachary he wants to know all the details in advance. He does not want to be suprised or caught off guard. With that being said, we read books about "shots", watched Sid the Science Kid about immunizations, and talked about being brave, etc. The day of Zachary well-child check-up it was also Kevin's annual doctors appointment. I couldn't have planned that better if I tried. Basically Kevin & Z were talking about how tough they are and how excited they were to get a bag of gummy sharks* after their appointments from the pharmacy. (*Tradition we started when Z was at the doctor every month for ear infections. Not sure if it is the best thing or not but Zachary loves to take his dollar up to the counter and get his bag of candy after an appointment.)Before Zachary's appointment we had about an hour to waste. I asked Z what he wanted to do and he said, "Mom maybe you need to get shots today too since Daddy & I are getting them." He was right, I did need my flu shot and I knew just where to go. I called my dad at Walgreens and sure enough he could do it then.







Zachary thought it was hilarious that Pops was going to give me a shot.  While my dad was getting all the paperwork ready Z said, "Hey mom we need to take pictures for the blog".  Yep, my son knows that I always have my camera ready. So while I got my shot Zachary took pictures.  Kinda funny, if you ask me.

After my shots we went to Z's pediatrician. Ended up that he needed 4 immunizations (flu, chicken pox, tetnus, and pneumonia (just because we are high risk with my lungs) ).  If he had four this year then he would just have 3 next year to get him ready for kindergarten (flu, rubella, measles).  The poor little guy was pathetic.  So pathetic that his pediatrician asked if he could carry Z to the car.  Yes, he did. I informed our Dr. that he had a waiting room full of other patients and did not have time to carry Z to the car.  Our pediatician and Z are tight since we visited him every month at least once for an entire year with Zachary's ears.  They are buddies!  Well, Z survived his immunizations, Kevin survived his flu shot, and so did I. It was a family affair. End result we all got bags of gummy sharks at the hospital pharmacy. 

No comments: